Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ph.D Rules...

Over the last two and a half years of doing a Ph.D, I learnt a few things and I wrote the same as tag lines on my Orkut profile. These five Ph.D rules appeared over a period of five days on my Orkut profile - one per day. Considering the viewership it brought about and considering that some of them missed a few of the rules... I thought I can compile them and make it a blog post. Here is the compilation (thanks to my memory... I could remember all those five rules which I wrote!):

1. Do not do things in a way that satisfies others (includes your guide too); Do things in a way that satisfies yourself!

2. Decide not the time-frame within which you would like to finish your PhD; Decide on the learning you would like to have - doing your PhD.

3. Your PhD ends the day you get the confidence to work independently and solve the problems that arise in your field of interest.

4. Do not blame your guide. It does not help. Do things in such a way that you and your guide remain happy.

5. Pursue atleast one non-academic activity that you are passionate about. Know that there is life outside your lab too!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Dinesh said...

Rightly said. You're almost near the PhD!!

Wednesday, October 14, 2009  
Blogger kannanuv said...

How do you resolve conflicts between 1 and 4?

Wednesday, October 14, 2009  
Blogger Lalit Patnaik said...

well said akp.. how does one ensure that he/she does not over-indulge in 5?

Thursday, December 10, 2009  
Blogger akp said...

@Kannan: There lies the trick... one who understands how to resolve the conflict is the one who does a satisfactory Ph.D... :) [I am not joking - its like that!].

Friday, December 11, 2009  
Blogger akp said...

@Lalit Patnaik: :) :) I understand... its a bit difficult - I agree... [I myself am obsessed with Badminton as you are with Cricket!]

Friday, December 11, 2009  
Blogger Vijay said...

very useful :)

Tuesday, February 08, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home